Foundation / Corporation
Edmonton Community Foundation (ECF)
Grants of up to $80,000 to Greater Edmonton Area, Alberta nonprofit organizations working to meet community needs. Funding is intended for the following sectors: health and wellness, arts, culture and heritage, environment, recreation and leisure, education and learning, and community and social services. Applicants should contact staff prior to submitting an application.
GrantWatch ID#: 173304
Grant requests to agencies which have worked with ECF recently (i.e. applied, received, and reported on a Community Grant in the last five years) are under $80,000.
Grant requests to organizations with which ECF doesn’t have a recent relationship (i.e. hasn’t received a Community Grant in the last five years) are under $40,000.
An organization is eligible to apply to the Community Grants Program if it:
- Is a nonprofit organization serving the greater Edmonton area, including Leduc County, Parkland County, Strathcona County, and Sturgeon County; and
- Has a charitable registration number from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
An organization that is not a registered charity that desires to apply for funding from the Foundation, may consider the following:
- Make a formal application to CRA to become a registered charity.
- Establish a written partnership with a registered charity that would apply for funds for the proposed project. CRA recommends that the relationship between the registered charity and the non-charitable organization be formalized and documented. Click here to visit CRA’s website for more details. Note that the opportunity to apply with a charitable partner is not meant to allow groups to circumvent CRA rules, but rather to support genuine partnerships between charities and non-profits.
ECF grants are not designed to support:
- Deficit funding
- Contributions to endowments
- Annual funding drives and annual events
- Faith-based programs
- Major medical equipment and research, capital campaigns or purchase of land and/or buildings
- Grants primarily benefiting individuals (such as scholarships)
- National or provincial initiatives without specific benefit to Edmonton
- Any expenses incurred prior to the Foundation’s decision date, or
- Grants to agencies that have unrestricted reserve funds in excess of one’s year’s operating expenses.
If you would like to discuss your organizational needs, start with a phone call to the Edmonton Community Foundation (ECF) to discuss the online application process and eligibility requirements.
The Foundation uses a two-stage process that includes a preliminary online application, followed by a full proposal, if requested.
The annual deadlines to submit an online application are:
- March 1 for funding requests after June 1 (application available December 2)
- June 1 for funding requests after September 1 (application available March 2)
- September 1 for funding requests after December 1 (application available June 2)
- December 1 for funding requests after March 1 (application available September 2)
Charities are encouraged to apply early.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://ecfgrants.getopenfield.com/applications/accounts/login/?next=/applications/
Cassandra Lundell, Community Grants Associate
Edmonton Community Foundation
9910 103 Street
NW Edmonton, AB T5K 2V7
Greater Edmonton Area, including: Leduc County, Strathcona County, Sturgeon County, and Parkland County